I’m big on snacking between meals as long as it’s something healthy that will keep me going and fits within my calorie budget. Here are 10 healthy snacks with 200 calories or less from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association).
• Banana split: banana sliced length-wise topped with 1/2 cup frozen yogurt and a tablespoon of chopped nuts
• One tablespoon peanut butter spread on slices of a medium apple
• Three cups air-popped popcorn sprinkled with three tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
• Tri-color veggie snack: 6 baby carrots, 10 sugar snap peas (or green pepper strips), 6 cherry tomatoes and 2 tablespoons reduced-fat ranch dressing for dipping
• Small baked potato topped with salsa and 1 ounce low-fat cheese
• Six whole-wheat crackers and one slice low-fat Colby cheese
• Fruit smoothie: Blend 1 cup fat-free milk, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries and 1/2 banana
• One 6-inch flour tortilla with 1/4 cup black beans and 2 tablespoons fresh salsa
• Toaster waffle topped with 1/2 cup blueberries and 2 tablespoons low-fat yogurt
• Mini-sandwich: Whole-grain dinner roll with 1 slice deli turkey, 1 slice low-fat cheese and mustard
Remember to think of snacks as mini-meals with nutrients. So… that makes cookies, chips, and other nutrient-less foods – (new FFTV word!) treats. And treats are just a once-in-awhile thing – not an in between every meal thing. Make sense?