A four-leaf clover, a special penny, a seashell...many people hold on to certain objects that they believe bring them luck. My little lucky charm is a pair of earrings that I wear every time I run a race. Silly? Yes. Do they make me run faster? Probably not. I do believe though, there's something to be said about the good energy I feel when I put them on before a run. Tennessee Williams once said "Luck is feeling you're lucky." Good luck charms aside, as a busy mom, it's easy for me to lose sight of what makes me feel lucky day in and day out. So, in the spirit of St. Patrick's Day, I've decided to count my blessings if you will.
The number 13 is generally considered a very unlucky number. In our house though, it's the opposite. Brody was born on a Friday the 13th. Ever since that day, I can't help but think it's the luckiest number in the world! With that in mind, I've complied a list of 13 small things (in no particular order) that make me feel lucky.
1) Brody's sweet little voice every morning saying, "Mommy, I'm awake!"
2) The way my hubby can make me laugh like no one else can
3) Having some time to indulge in the hobbies that I love...like running and cooking
4) My parents, siblings, & in-laws
5) Having a teenage babysitter that we like and trust. (All you parents out there know that's always a lucky find!)
6) Working in a part-time job that gives me a creative outlet to write
7) Savoring that yummy cup of coffee in the morning and glass of red wine at night
8) a spontaneous "I love you, Mommy. or You're the best." from my little guy.
9) The fact that our dog, Macey's, ears are still puppy soft. Petting them is a huge stress relief
10) Kitchen or living room dance parties with Brody & Ted
11) Curling up in a cozy blanket to read a good book
12) Date nights
13) Bubble baths
I'd love to read about the simple good fortunes in your life or the significance behind any good luck charms you may own. Drop me a line! In the meantime, I leave you with an Irish blessing. "For each petal on the shamrock this brings a wish your way. Good health, good luck, and happiness for today and every day."