If it's been a while since you've gone through your makeup bag, it's time for a purge.
Holding onto old products is neither healthy nor safe.
- Mascara has the shortest shelf life and should be tossed every three to six months.
- Eye liner can last up to a year, but it should be sharpened before each use to minimize bacterial risk.
- Foundation can also last for one year, but only if you use clean hands, a fresh sponge or a regularly cleaned brush. This advice works well for powders and blush as well.
- Lipstick has a shelf life of one year, unless it starts to develop an odor or stops going on smoothly.
- Natural beauty products that are preservative free may need to be replaced more often.
Any kind of makeup that develops an unpleasant odor or changes its appearance should be thrown away.