Having a healthier home does not have to be complicated, in fact it shouldn’t be! Simplicity is key, think basics. Check out the tips below and please feel free to add yours in the comments section!
- Choose safe cleaning products.
Keeping the air in your home clean starts with what you bring into your space! While we can’t keep everything out, we can make better choices in the products we buy and choosing safe, non-toxic cleaners and detergents is an easy one that will provide a positive impact in more ways than one! Cleaning with vinegar and water is a simple step you can take to cut down on the chemicals – a few drops of your favorite essential oil can lighten the fragrance if you like. Try my 5 easy tips for choosing safe cleaning products to get you started.
- Vacuum regularly.
I am awful about remembering to vacuum, but a quality vacuum with a HEPA filter cleaned regularly will reduce the amount of dust and other particulates in your home. Keeping your floor clean will reduce the amount of dirt that can be kicked up and it’ll help cut down on the amount of dusting you need to do too. If you are anything like me, remembering to do this with enough frequency can be an issue. To help combat my forgetfulness, I like to use my smartphone to set alarm reminders. It’s sad, but it works.
- Keep an eye on your filter!
Thankfully my husband is good about checking our filter, but it’s one that I would easily overlook. Keeping your filter changed can help reduce everything from allergens to odors. If you have pets…. or kids, that can mean a lot. Last summer my allergies kicked into high gear so I ran down to my local home improvement store and bought a high-performance Filtrete filter (this is not a place to skimp – trust me it makes a difference! You can keep an eye out on their Facebook page for discounts.) It wasn’t long before I noticed a difference in my previously dry and itchy eyes.
- Freshen & fragrance indoor air naturally.
Traditional air fragrance products often contain a variety of toxins and irritants, choosing a natural option can freshen your home with authentic fragrances without the toxic side-effects. Try:
- Using products like baking soda in place of “fragrances powders”. Baking soda can even be left in small, vented containers around your home to help absorb odors.
- DIY potpourri with dried herbs and flowers that you can grow yourself. Add quality essential oils to spice it up!
- Placing citrus peels in a pot of water and heat to gently fill your home with a subtle fragrance from the natural oils. (Be sure to keep an eye on it, and never leave anything on the stovetop unattended.)
- DIY your own air freshener with – Mix up a spray bottle with water, a splash of vodka and your favorite essential oil.
- Groom your pets.
If you have pets, hair and dander can collect quickly. Brush your pet frequently and wash with a safe pet shampoo when needed. We adore our FURminator brush and derMagic pet shampoo bars.
- Last, but not least! Open a window!
This might be surprising, but according to the EPA, “Air within homes and other buildings can be more seriously polluted than the outdoor air in even the largest and most industrialized cities.” Opening a window to allow for an exchange of polluted indoor air for fresh air can drastically improve your indoor air quality. Even in colder months a few minutes can make a big difference.
For more information and great stories like this one please visit The Eco-Friendly Family