Catching your child doing something good is an exciting reminder that you’re doing something right. An excellent way to encourage children to keep up that positive behavior is by rewarding them. And that doesn’t necessarily mean doling out money or expensive gifts.
BoysTown offers these creative ways to reward your kids for being good.
- Leave post-it notes on their door in the morning, or place a sweet note in their backpack or lunchbox.
- Make time for “brags” at the dinner table, where you talk about the good things they did that day.
- Give them “time-ins” – times set aside purely for having fun.
- Give them “goodie vouchers” for special time with a parent or extra time watching TV or playing games.
- Finally, devote ten minutes of one-on-one time doing an activity of the child’s choosing.