This article, entitled Uses For Virgin Coconut Oil comes from partner site 719woman.com.
Just as with olive oil and castor oil, coconut oil is a product that has multiple health and beauty uses that doesn’t cost a lot of money. Virgin coconut oil can be used on your hair, skin, and even as a weight-loss supplement. As long as the oil has been cold pressed and has no additional additives, the benefits that you can receive from applying it all over are practically endless…and inexpensive.
FACE AND BODY
Virgin coconut oil can be used:
- As a moisturizer for your body, face and neck.
- As an eye cream…apply under the eyes to reduce puffiness, bags and wrinkles.
- As a preshave…preps skin before shaving.
- As an aftershave…helps heal skin, doesn’t clog pores.
- As a deoderant…alone or with baking soda or cornstarch. *I tried this all week and it really worked!
- As makeup remover…great for mascara too.
- As chapstick…softens and has a SPF of 4.
- As a body scrub…mix with sugar or salt, apply and then rinse.
- Makes your skin super smooth.
- As stretch mark cream…it won’t remove them but it will help make them look less noticeable.
- As nipple cream…for cracked, sore or dry nipples when nursing. Apply to cotton balls and leave on nipples between feedings.
- As a diaper salve…helps diaper rash with no chemicals.
- As cradle cap help…nourishes skin and helps eliminate cradle cap. Rub in 1 tsp daily.
Coconut oil can also help with psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema. It also helps stop burning and itching caused by bug bits. And if you have cuts or scrapes, coconut oil can help them heal because it forms a thin layer which protects them from outside dust, bacteria and virus. It also helps speed up healing of bruises.
Virgin coconut oil is an excellent natural conditioner for the hair, and has been used for centuries by people in Eastern countries such as Asia. Consistent use of the oil will leave the hair shiny and with increased elasticity. It also causes the hair to retain protein. Use it:
- As a hair conditioner…add a tsp to ends of hair and then run through to distribute the rest.
- As a deep hair condioner…add a tbsp on dry scalp and gently work through the ends. You can put a shower cap on and leave on overnight for a deeper condition.
- Insect Repellent – Mix with peppermint oil extract and rub all over exposed skin.
- Cats And Dogs – For general wellness add 1 tsp to water bowl daily. *I would check with your vet before doing so.
- Goo Gone – Mix equal parts coconut oil and baking soda to form a paste. Apply to sticky area and let sit for a minute.
- Chewing Gum Removal – Rub over stuck gum (in hair), wait 30 minutes and then roll the gum between your fingers. Should come out without pulling or cutting.
- Polishing Bronze – Rub on a cloth and wipe the bronze item down. Helps clean and deepen the color.
- Toothpaste – A little bit of coconut oil mixed with baking soda helps clean, brighten and freshen teeth and breath.
And then of course, you can always use coconut oil in cooking.
I’ve also heard and read that virgin coconut oil can help with weight loss. Start with a tablespoon’s worth a day, and increase the amount gradually. *I would check with your doctor first!