Baby Your Baby - Battery Dangers

Experts have warning for parents that could save your child's life. The number of cases of children swallowing button-size batteries has quadrupled in the past five years.

When you have a little one around the house it seems like they are constantly putting things in their mouths. Choking is a big concern, especially now that we are going high tech with smaller devices that use lithium coin size button batteries.

These coin-size batteries are found in everyday devices such as mini remote controls used to unlock car doors or for MP3 players, calculators, bathroom scales and flameless candles. Small children often have easy access to these devices and enjoy playing with them. Many parents do not know there is a risk.

Experts says once the battery is lodged in the child's throat the saliva immediately triggers an electrical current that causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. They say child proofing your home is the best way to keep batteries away from your children.



About the Author...
Jemelle Holopirek
 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus