It is said that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yet, how often do we miss breakfast or grab something on our way to school or work or wherever we are heading for the day? Here are some ideas for breakfast that don’t require a drive-thru window.
1. Make a breakfast casserole. On Sunday night, put together a casserole. There are a ton of great recipes online for really yummy casseroles. You’ll also save some eggs because most recipes take fewer eggs than what you’d fry or scramble for breakfast each morning. Depending on the size of your family, the casserole may last two to three mornings.
2. Yogurt. When you don’t have time to actually sit down for breakfast, grab a container of yogurt and some dried or fresh fruit. Cutting up fruit on top of the yogurt adds carbohydrates to fuel you for the morning in addition to the calcium and protein in the yogurt itself.
3. Breakfast shake. This is even quicker and can be ingested while driving without taking your eyes off the road or both hands off the wheel. Put together some frozen fruit favorites, ice cubes, frozen yogurt, and unsweetened juice in a blender. Everyone can grab a cup on the way out the door.
4. Frozen homemade Pancakes. Whip up a batch of pancakes and freeze in a freezer bag between layers of wax paper. Take them out of the freezer on a busy morning, pop in the toaster and you have yummy pancakes to feed you and the kids.
5. Breakfast sandwiches. In the evening grill up a few breakfast sandwiches. Choose whatever you like: turkey slices, ham slices, cheese, tomato, bacon, etc. When the sandwich cools, cut it into bite size pieces and put it in a container. In the morning, just grab a container; pop it into the microwave for fifteen or twenty seconds and breakfast is served.
These breakfast ideas are time saving and money-saving too. This way we never have to worry about the kids not getting breakfast or forgetting to eat breakfast ourselves and having to run through a drive through!