Address: Choices in Parkersburg
4421 Emerson Ave Suite 102
Parkersburg, WV 26104 View Map

Phone: 304-485-2668

About Us

How do I get help paying for child care?
First you will need to visit your local CCR&R office and apply for child care assistance. There you will meet with a case manager who will conduct an interview with you to determine your eligibility. During the interview process, you will be asked to provide information regarding your need for care, members of your household, and your family’s monthly gross income. You will also need to verify the information you provide, by submitting certain documents to your case manager. If you don’t have everything with you when you come in to apply, your case manager will give you a letter stating what you still need to turn in and the date the information is due.

Who qualifies for child care assistance?
Families who need child care in order to work, attend school, or participate in an approved DHHR activity, may qualify for child care assistance. Families are eligible for child care assistance if their monthly gross income falls within our income guidelines.

What do I need to bring with me when I come in to apply for subsidy assistance?

Applicants must provide proof of I.D., proof of West Virginia residency, verification of their qualifying activity, and monthly household income. In addition, families must provide proof of child support or efforts to pursue child support, as well as an original, certified birth certificate for each child in need of child care.

I just started a new job and have not yet been paid. How can I verify my employment?

Applicants who have been employed for less than 30 days will be given a “Verification of Employment” form from a case manager. The form must be completed by the applicant’s employer and returned to the case manager before the pre-determined deadline.

What type of qualifications does a person need to be a child care provider?
A person needs to be at least 18 years of age, they will need to provide the care in their home, they receive a 1099 at the end of the year and are responsible for their own taxes, they and anyone in the home over 18 will be fingerprinted. A child care provider, as well as anyone over 18 living in their home cannot have substantiated CPS or APS cases against them. They will need to have a physical done within 30 days of applying. A potential child care provider’s home must meet the state’s standards.

How many children can I provide care for?
If you plan on caring for only 1 to 3 children you are not required to register with the WVDHHR. If you care for 4 or more children you are required to register with the state of West Virginia as a Family Child Care Provider. Registration is the process by which a family child care home certifies that it meets the WVDHHR health and safety rules.

What should a child care provider do if they are currently watching a child that is eligible for subsidy assistance with the cost of child care?
The provider should call their local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency and register with them.

How many children can I care for and do my own children count in that number?
A registered Family Child care Provider can care for up to 6 children at one time with only two under 2 yrs of age. Further, any of your own children, under 6 years of age, count in the total number of children that you are permitted to care for. For example, if you have a two-year old and a four-year old and keep two additional children, that makes four children and you must register. Remember: if you have a child under the age of two, you can only care for one other child under age two.

Choices in Clarksburg
315 North Ohio Ave Clarksburg, WV 26301
Map Location