Address: 521 Market Street Parkersburg, WV 26101 View Map
Phone: 304 424-3457

About Us

The Volunteer Action Center (VAC) was founded in 1995 to be the place to go when someone wanted to volunteer or needed a volunteer. The VAC was also started to provide offices for non-profit organizations in a common location. Since then, the VAC established:

1) FaithLink, which provides many services to people who are elderly, physically disabled, or chronically ill.
2) Wood County 211/ Information and Referral program, which connects callers to thousands of health and human services.
3) Child Care Food Program which reimburses providers of home day care for some of the food costs of the children they care for.
4) Training and other resources for non-profit organizations.
5) Volunteer Mobilization Centers to help organize volunteers during a disaster.
6) Community Service projects

Volunteer Action Center FAQ

Q: How do I sign up to volunteer? Can kids volunteer?
Call Mary Rader at 304-424-3456, ext 211, to get an application, or go to our website at and find a list of volunteer opportunities that you can contact directly. Some agencies have an age requirement for volunteers, but some will accept children as young as 6 when accompanied by a parent. Contact Mary Rader for more information about volunteer oppportunities for children, youth, young adults, and families. You may also email:

Q: What does FaithLink do for elderly people?
FaithLink helps people remain independent at home by providing transportation, shopping, visitation, phone reassurance, and light housekeeping and home maintenance.

Q: Why should I volunteer?
Some people like to improve their skills in a new field of interest, meet new people, and help others. Some people have been helped in a special way and want to give back to the community. Volunteering has also been proven to reduce stress and high blood pressure, and improve your immune system.

Q: What does 211 do?
You can call 211 any time, any day, or 304-424-3457 extension 211 during business hours. You will talk to a person who can connect you to the right place to get the help you need, whether it's help with food, elderly parents, day care, low-income housing, support groups, utilities, transportation, or many other services. It's toll free but you should still use 911 for emergency calls.

Q: Who do you rent office space to?
We primarily rent to non-profit organizations, but we also rent to small businesses. We are located in the Dils Center, and the agencies here say they save $400-$600 per month in overhead costs by sharing the expenses and resources.

$cms.template("HTML5 Vibrant Media")