I was working through some review items and came across the Head Chefs Pizza Pan and Pizza Wheel and thought well why not make some pizza! My first dance with the culinary world was in bakery and we spent 5 weeks making breads. I know breads, very very well. I am not scared of yeast but I do worry my house is too dry sometimes for proper rising. At any rate I needed to make some dough so that my kids could make some personal pizzas.
Items to note: I always refrigerate my yeast. Yeast hates being cold and it also hates sitting for over 6 months. I get it by the jar. 2 1/4 TSP of yeast from the jar is equal to one packet of active dry yeast. Also if you want the more authentic pizza joint bottom, line the pan with some semolina flour. Also for this I strongly urge using a stand mixer with a dough hook its just so easy.
Candace is the mom of three and currently a full time culinary student at Lansing Community College. Her future plans include becoming a certified chef and food photographer.
Perfect Pizza Dough
1 C. HOT water (110 degrees F or 45 degrees C)
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 C. Bread Flour
2 tsp. white sugar
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder (or fresh minced if you wish)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1. tsp. salt
1. Dissolve the yeast in the water and let it set for ten minutes, it will thicken slightly
2. Pour the yeast mixture in the mixer bowl
3. Add the flour and other ingredients leaving the salt for last, the salt will kill the yeast with direct contact so make sure its last to go in.
4. Beat the dough into a stiff ball. if it sticks use a little olive oil on your hands and it will come off.
5. Cover and let rise to double size, which takes about 25-30 minutes.
This recipe made 3 personal 8 inch pizzas but would make 2-12″ pizzas as well.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees
2. Roll your dough into a round shape with a rolling pin on floured surface if desired OR shape the dough in your hands just working in a circle letting the dough gently stretch.
3. Place on your pan, make sure you leave some extra at the edges if you want a thick crust there, then add your toppings, Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe.