Hope, Help, Healing
Mended Little Hearts is a program of the Mended Hearts Inc., a non-profit, volunteer-based organization providing hope, help and healing to heart patients and their families since 1951. The Mended Little Hearts program works nationally and in communities to support children with congenital heart defects and their families.
"Thanks again. This support group is very inspiring and I am not sure how I would be coping if it weren't for the people, support, and information Mended Little Hearts provides."
Amanda Stewart, Mom to Cuyler
- Congenital heart defects are the most common birth defect in the United States occurring in nearly 1% of births
- There are approximately two to three million individuals in the United States with congenital heart defects. Because there is no U.S. system to track congenital heart defects beyond early childhood, more precise estimates are not available.
- Thanks to improvements in survival, the number of adults living with congenital heart defects is increasing to about 85%.
- Most causes of congenital heart defects are unknown.
- In 2009 the hospital costs for children with congenital heart defects was nearly $1.5 billion.