Good News Mountaineer Garage is a nonprofit organization dedicated to securing donated vehicles to provide safe, reliable transportation to West Virginians with lower incomes, working toward financial independence.
How The Program Works
- DONATE YOUR CAR: Do you have a car you would like to donate? Begin filling out the form on this page to tell us about your car. Or, give us a call at 1-866-GIVE CAR (448-3227) and we'll get back to you.
- DONATIONS OF MONEY: Your financial contributions to help repair our donated cars can be made using our secure online donation form.
- If you call, a staff person will ask questions to learn more about the history and condition of the vehicle.
- Reputable mechanics perform repairs and tune-ups on vehicles accepted into the program.
- Vehicles too expensive to repair are used for parts. Vehicles too expensive to maintain are sold to the public. Proceeds from these auto sales support the program.
- A qualified family in need will be matched with the vehicle.
- Vehicle maintenance training will be provided to the new owner of the car.
- You can call 1  448-3227 today to help your neighbor!
Good News Mountaineer Garage FAQ
What is Good News Mountaineer Garage?
Good News Mountaineer Garage is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing safe, reliable transportation for West Virginia families on their road to economic independence. We truly believe in our tag line, Donate a Car, Change a Life!
How does your program work?
Good News Mountaineer Garage accepts donated vehicles from individuals, organizations and businesses, makes necessary repairs to those vehicles and then gives them to clients referred to us through WV DHHR's WV Works program or through the WV Division of Rehabilitation Services.
What are the tax benefits of donating a vehicle to Good News Mountaineer Garage?
All vehicle donations to GNMG are tax deductible. If your vehicle is used in our program, you may take the fair market value of your vehicle as a tax deduction if you itemize on your federal taxes. This could mean hundreds or even thousands of dollars in tax deductions. If we are unable to use your vehicle for a low-income family (it has too many miles, too costly to maintain, repairs are too extensive, etc.), we may sell the vehicle at public auction. The donor may still deduct the sale price of the vehicle, with a minimum deduction of $500. So, in addition to making a difference for a West Virginia family, keeping a vehicle usable and on the road, the donor also gets the best tax deduction possible.
Who receives the vehicles that are donated?
While we accept donated vehicles from West Virginia and bordering states, the vehicles are given back to West Virginia recipients referred to us through the WV Department of Health and Human Resources' WV Works program, (a TANF funded program helping WV families transition to economic independence), or through the WV Division of Rehabilitation Services.
How can I contact Good News Mountaineer Garage to learn more?
You can give us a call at 1-866-GIVE CAR or visit our web site at www.goodnewsmountaineergarage.com.
Our main facility is located in Charleston, where we have an office and working mechanic's garage. We also have staff people near Morgantown and in the Eastern Panhandle. We truly want to be accessible to our donors, as well as those who receive vehicles through our program. If you can't make it to one of our facilities, we will come to you, handle the paperwork and explain the process step-by-step.