Chicken tortilla tortellini soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or veggie broth
- 3 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 - 1 ½ lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2 cups cooked black beans, drained and rinsed
- 9 oz. cheese tortellini
- Zest and juice from 2 limes
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, diced avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips, for serving
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 30-60 seconds. Slowly pour in the enchilada sauce, chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring the soup to a boil and add the chicken; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until chicken is tender.
2. Stir the black beans and cheese tortellini into the pot, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and cook for about 5 minutes or until the tortellini is al dente. Stir in lime zest and juice, and most of the cheese and simmer until melted.
3. To serve, sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with lime wedges, avocado, cilantro and tortilla strips.