Chai quinoa protein breakfast bowl
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Carbohydrate 86g
650 mg calcium (60% of daily value).
Nutrition figures based on using fat free milk, and include an 8-ounce glass of milk.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 cup – pre-rinsed uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups – milk
- 1 – egg white
- 1 1/2 tablespoons – brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon – pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon – ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon – ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon – ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon – nutmeg
- 2 dashes – ground cloves
- Shredded or flaked coconut for garnish (optional)
- Almond slivers for garnish (optional)
Pair each serving with:
8-ounce glass of milk
Bring 2 cups of milk to a full simmer in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, return to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover, leaving a tiny crack for steam to escape, and simmer until about two-thirds of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in egg white, brown sugar, vanilla and spices. Return pan to stove, covering again with a tiny crack for steam to escape, and continue to cook on low until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 5 minutes.
Serve with remaining 8-ounce glass of milk and garnish with coconut flakes and almond slivers if desired.