Pepperoni pizza popcorn
- 12 slices pepperoni, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 1/2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 batch freshly popped Basic Popcorn
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or other vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
*You can substitute using microwave popcorn.
This recipe is courtesy partner site 719woman.com.
In a 10-inch skillet, cook the pepperoni over medium heat, stirring constantly, until crisp, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to cool.
In a small processor or spice grinder, blend the tomatoes, butter, and oil into a paste.
In a small bowl, whisk the cheese, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Toss the tomato butter with the popcorn, using your fingers to distribute the tomato pieces. Add the cheese mixture and toss well. Toss in the pepperoni and season to taste with additional salt.
Put the oil and 2 or 3 popcorn kernels in a heavy-duty 4 1/2- to 5 1/2-quart pot. Partially cover and heat over medium-high heat until the kernels pop.
Add the rest of the popcorn kernels. Cover the pot most of the way and shake the pot back and forth constantly once the heavy popping starts. After about 3 minutes, the popping should slow down; when you can count to 5 without a pop, it’s done. Remove from the heat, and give the pot a final shake.
Transfer to a large bowl.